discard library pockets are stuck to walls all over the world.
1) if you find one, keep the art that's in it.
2) refill the pocket with some arty artifact of your own.
3) email a picture of what you find & I'll post it here or you can post it on tumblr
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

April 3, 2012

Hiding Pennies

Words are important and what things are named carry some weight.
Wikipedia seems to be pretty good at keeping things straight.
[oh crap - now do I have to rhyme the rest of this post? no.] 

The thing is, though street art is free and available for everyone, 
you can't really take it home with you.

I hope that this project can make the sharing and the finding of art both 
more intimate and more global.

This part in Annie Dillard's Pilgrim At Tinker Creek has always stuck with me:

"When I was six or seven years old, growing up in Pittsburgh, I used to take a precious penny of my own and hide it for someone else to find. It was a curious compulsion; sadly, I’ve never been
seized by it since. For some reason I always “hid” the penny along the same stretch of sidewalk up the street. I would cradle it at the roots of a sycamore, say, or in a hole left by a chipped-off
piece of sidewalk. Then I would take a piece of chalk, and, starting at either end of the block, draw huge arrows leading up to the penny from both directions. After I learned to write I labeled the arrows: SURPRISE AHEAD or MONEY THIS WAY. I was greatly excited, during all this arrow-drawing, at the thought of the first lucky passer-by who would receive in this way, regardless of merit, a free gift from the universe. But I never lurked about. I would go straight home and not give the matter another thought, until, some months later, I would be gripped again by the impulse to hide another penny."


-Michele showed me The Common Denominator and it reminded me 
of The Infinity Project. If you can think of others like it, please let me know -

No comments: